Random header image... Refresh for more!

Feng Shui Kitchen Design: Before and After

Recently I renovated a kitchen in a New York City brownstone, and my primary goal in the job was to bring beauty, light and functionality to a space that was downright oppressive. My clients are cooking buffs, so a dark, cluttered kitchen was a major no-no in their world.  Below are some Before and After shots, to give you a sense of how I tackled the task.

Before:  Yikes!  Look at that ugly, dark cabinetry, crammed into one corner of the space.  Also, whats the point of that ridiculous soffit? It simply cuts the space, and adds no functionality whatsoever.

After:  Ahhhh…much better. I opened the space up, added several rows of recessed lights, went with warm, blond cabinetry, white ceaserstone surfaces, soft cork flooring along the cooking zone, and vibrant backsplash tiles.  I’m also rather fond of the stainless center island, which doubles as a second prep surface, and a nice spot for a quick breakfast.

Before:  Uggg!   Just try cooking in this dark, confined space.  With so many black marble surfaces (both countertop and backsplash), combined with the overly-deep cherry uppers and bad lighting…one was inclined to order Chinese takeout five nights a week!

After:  That’s more like it. There is room to breathe. The uppers are the correct depth, and we integrated the TV and home office into the new cabinetry for a consistant look, and maximum clutter control.

While living in NYC always presents some interesting challenges, one should never feel resigned to living in a claustrophobic space.  A well-considered design can work wonders in even the darkest and tightest of quarters.  There is always a place where beauty and functionality can live together happily ever after.

16 comments

1 Devidas { 09.17.10 at 9:31 pm }

Awesome job, Reiko! I can’t believe that the before and after shots are of the same kitchen. And yes, you are right, one never needs to “give up” on a space. There’s always hope! 🙂

2 Linda K { 09.21.10 at 2:57 pm }

Beautiful renovations, Reiko!

3 Anonymous { 09.21.10 at 8:42 pm }

I love me some Before & After photos, especially when the “After” features a clutter-free kitchen!!
What a remarkable project! Thanks for sharing!

4 Reiko { 09.27.10 at 8:51 pm }

Thank you Jill Marie!

5 Anonymous { 02.17.11 at 1:54 pm }

Nice design. I like and also decided to make my kitchen for this type. Now my steps are not waiting much for this. I am waiting for it to show in my kitchen.

kitchen units

6 Reiko Gomez { 02.18.11 at 1:14 pm }

Thanks for your comment!

7 Lawrence Cooks { 03.17.11 at 7:56 am }

Your kitchen looks amazing! It goes to show that a little remodeling can do a lot for your house. From a cramp kitchen, to a spacious one: who would’ve thought it could end that way? I hope that the remodelers can make our kitchen here in Minneapolis as awesome as yours. Kudos!

8 Anonymous { 04.19.11 at 3:37 pm }

Well mostly people are tending to the some superstitions but sometimes it can be helpful to give a better look to your set up. I know feng shui an I think it is really works if you strongly believe in that and so the above set up is the best example of that.
Mens Shoes

9 Pieter West { 07.21.11 at 9:17 am }

Hi,
I love the pictures.Your kitchen looks  superb. Renovation is a great cure for your home. In this way, you can check which part of  your house is getting weak so you can fix it. And also, you can give your house  a different touch of design..I like and also decided to make my kitchen for this type.
____________________________________
 kitchen renovation

10 Kitchen Cabinets Ventura { 08.23.11 at 1:44 pm }

Are you tired of opening up the same kitchen cabinets, every single day?
Although many homeowners love their kitchens, including their kitchen
cabinets, there are some who are looking for a change. If you are one of
those homeowners, the ones who are looking for a change, you may want
to think about remodeling your kitchen, particularly your kitchen
cabinets.

11 Kitchen Cabinets Ventura { 09.26.11 at 11:32 pm }

The receiving area, the dining area, the bedroom, the kitchen, and the bathroom are places in your house that is always stayed in. There have been many revolutionary ideas in improving the aesthetics of the receiving area, the dining area, and the bedroom. You can move furniture and fixtures in any part of the room without the need of contactors or designers. All you need is creativity to spice the idea and work it in your room. But how about the kitchen and the bathroom? You must think twice.

12 Anne Gateway { 10.02.11 at 10:01 am }

My eyes getting wide seeing your Feng Shui Kitchen! Cool and is that pricy?

13 Jojaf { 11.03.11 at 7:37 am }

This is an amazing content.This is well informative.A ll post are very nice.The lighting facility is good.This is a great article.Thanks to share this blog with us.I will keep share in future.

14 Raeve { 01.13.12 at 12:26 am }

This is a nice post.Beautiful virtual kitchens show you how to apply colors, textures, materials.The written skill is so good.I appreciate to this one.Thanks to share this blog.

15 Nancy Ballard { 12.09.15 at 1:31 am }

Wow! I love how the kitchens transform from crowded and dark kitchen area into organized and lovely interior design. The ideas and advice were really great and interesting. Looking forward for more informative posts.

Nancy@ office furniture Philippines